I’m converting our entire dealer group to a new CRM, so I’ve been working a lot. Couple that with my other responsibilities and I’m typically getting home around midnight. At that time the last thing I think about doing is getting my snail mail because it is now more of a chore than an incentive. It seems my mailbox has a tendency to become over-filled with credit card offers, introductions to new real estate agents, coupons for my grocery store, big catalogs for furniture and clothes I’ll never buy. I’d say over 95% of my mail is junk. The other 5% is nothing but bills that I pay online anyway, so basically everything in my mailbox is trash. I need to start carrying the garbage can out to the mailbox with me to just scoop it right where it is all going to end up.
Also, with a new CRM comes opportunity for new mail pieces. I am obviously not a fan of snail mail. Maybe it is me, maybe it is the younger generation I’m a part of, maybe I think trees are a good thing….whatever. I also don’t subscribe to the newspaper (is that a sin in this industry?) – click here to read what Seth Godin has to say about that. I’m in a little bit of a debate with the older generation about how many letters we should be sending through our new CRM. I agree with sending a few to people who have purchased vehicles from us and something on a birthday or anniversary, but to contribute to the regular 95% junk pile is something I am not in favor of. I also want to keep in touch with our customers who prefer the traditional communication methods they’re used to.
My real question is: is snail mail dead? If an expected return on a mail campaign is 1-3%, does that mean you’re annoying 97% of the people who receive that expensive piece of mail? As the cost of mail, and paper, continues to climb where does the cost out-weigh the value?